Thursday, August 11, 2011

Mile 26 - Ciao Italy, Guten Tag Germany!

Today is my last day in Italy. Not much to tell as I spent most of the time walking around, playing with Sherman, listening to music, playing on the Internet.  I did manage to cook a nice Italian pasta dinner for me and Sara. Fresh ingredients from the Italian grocery store. After dinner I went for my last run around town. Note to self. Don't run after a pasta dinner. Ouch!

I have to say I'll miss this place.  What have I learned in the last 10 days?

1. Three hour lunch breaks, while probably not the best idea during an economic recession,  allows for ample amounts of time to enjoy your food and espresso under the beautiful Italian sun. Who doesn't want a mid-day nap after lunch? Something to think about.

2. We really should wear gloves when handling produce at the grocery store. The Italians wear plastic gloves while perusing the produce section.

3. Parmesan cheese should always be freshly ground and placed on your table for every meal

4. Too much gelato can upset your stomach

5. There is really no need to wear sneakers when you have Italian leather

and finally

6. It is our God given right to have quality affordable wine available at all times! Water or Wine? Would you like cheese with that?-Same thing. A bottle of 2 euro wine filled from a tank is just as good as any 20 pound bottle of wine I've had to buy in London. Lets make this happen people.


Tomorrow = exceptionally long travel day.  4:40 wake-up  to help Sara carry bags to the train station for our 5:20 train to Venice. When Sara gets off for the airport I'm continuing on to Venice central as my flight doesn't leave until 1:30. I figure I can do a quick run in Venice then head back to the Airport. Upon arrival to Frankfurt-Hahn I will embark on an hour and half bus ride to Mainz -the city my Dad lived in for 30 months as a young man in the Army . I promised my parents I'd take pictures of Mainz, with particular emphasis on the train station. My mom secretively told me to take pictures of the bus stop at the train station because apparently my Dad had a habit of sleeping on the bench at the bus stop after a late night out on the town? Shhhhhh. Don't tell anyone.

At Mainz I board a 4 hour train ride to Munich. I arrive in Munich at 9:30pm with promises to Fidan and Wolfgang that I will be in stable condition and ready for a good time! I'm an excellent travel napper.
Wish me luck. The early morning run in Venice should start me off on the right foot.








No comments:

Post a Comment